Call for Papers – CAP Virtual Convention 2020
The Caribbean Association of Pharmacists (CAP), hosts meetings every May and November and its Annual Convention in August. These meetings provide opportunities for networking, sharing new ideas, troubleshooting common challenges, and laying ground for career development and the advancement of pharmacy in the Caribbean. In light of the global pandemic of the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), the CAP has had to reconfigure its approach to delivery of continuing pharmacy education in place of the live annual convention programming. The virtual convention will be held from Thursday 13th to Sunday 16th August, 2020, with CE sessions delivered from Friday to Sunday.
CAP aims to provide Continuing Pharmacy Education of the highest quality and relevance for pharmacists working in a multidisciplinary landscape. We invite educators and pharmacists to join us by submitting abstracts for Continuing Education Plenaries or Research Papers for a duration of one hour.
Persons interested in presenting at the CAP virtual convention in August 2020 are encouraged to submit their abstracts by 10th July, 2020.
Abstracts for proposed plenaries should be submitted using the CAP Meeting Abstract Submission form at https://forms.gle/ASsSxZmESDgt86DLA.
The forms may also be found in Appendix I. These may be returned to us via email along with the CV of the presenter.
The following describe the allotted time for CE presentations:
- CE Lectures (plenaries) are allotted 60 minutes each:
- Lecture – 50 minutes, and
- Q&A – 10 minutes.
- Research presentations are allotted 60 minutes each:
- Basic review of the key background concepts (e.g. medication adherence, summary of background literature) – 20-25 minutes
- Research summary (rationale, objectives, methods, findings and discussion) – 20-25 minutes, and
- Q&A – 10 minutes.
Presenters should allow 3-5 minutes during and after the session to allow participants to answer a poll or quiz item.
Presenters will be asked to allow CAP to post a copy of their presentation in PDF format on its website for member access only. For these, we ask that presentations do not include any material that is protected by copyright where permission from the creator is explicitly required, and that all due credits or references are given where applicable.
Theme for 2020: “Pharmacists in Times of Crisis: Pandemonium or Preparedness?”
CAP welcomes abstracts for CE plenaries and/or research papers in:
- Pharmacists’ Role in Pandemics
- Clinical management of COVID-19
- Research landscape or Investigational medicines / vaccines for COVID-19
- Reliable medicines information for COVID-19 or other pandemics/epidemics
- Challenges to safe use of medicines for COVID-19
- Keeping pharmacy settings safe in COVID-19 / infectious disease outbreaks
- Falsified medical products for COVID-19
- Strengthening supply chains in COVID-19 / during pandemics
- Patient Education / managing misinformation.
This is not an exhaustive list. If your topic does not fit into the above categories, please send us a query via email.
Instructions for Abstract Submission:
- Complete the required form according to the presentation type; no more than 250 words
- Abstracts for CE plenaries should include a descriptive summary of the relevance of the topic and the learning outcomes or learning objectives
- The presenter’s curriculum vitae must accompany the abstract submission.
- Submit the online form and CV, or email the completed form and CV to CE Chairperson, Rian Marie Extavour at and copy to the CAP Office, .
Note: If you are interested in submitting a proposal but are unable to meet the deadline or you have an idea for a topic that is not listed, please contact us at the above email addresses. We are always looking for new emerging issues and topics that we can offer to benefit our membership.